Opening on the 29th of July 2015, you could be forgiven for thinking that we are ‘new’ fishmongers in the area.
We are family business with many years experience between us and a passion for the industry we work in.
Gary has been in the fish industry for decades working with and advising many retailers on their fresh fish offerings, the diversity and sustainability of the products on offer; and decided it was time to relinquish his as position as Company Seafood Specialist for Tesco to pursue a lifelong ambition of running his own family business.
He is very passionate about the fish industry, and affiliated to many of the bodies representing the industry – focused on sustainable sourcing, diversity and fishmongery skills – his years of experience means he has built great friendships throughout the trade in the UK and abroad with many fishermen, producers and other fishmongers.
Gary has many professional affiliations in the industry, some of which include;
- Immediate President of the National Federation of Fishmongers
- Board Member of The Seafood Training Academy
- Member of the Seafish Seafood Retailers Training Advisory Committee
- Member of Seafish Seafood Legislation Expert Group
- Member of Seafish Consumer Expert Group
- Member of Billingsgate Ward Club
- Associate Member of The Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen
And as if all this wasn’t enough, Gary also runs a successful consultancy business – providing advice and support to other fishmongers and retailers across the UK with a wealth of expertise available in areas such as
- Space and Range Management
- Training and Development of Specific Solutions
- Training Delivery
- Supplier Strategy and Consolidation
- Product Specification
- Category Management
- Project Management
- Storage & Shelf life maximization
- Sustainability & responsible sourcing
GCH Fishmongers are proud members of the National Federation of Fishmongers, with Gary having been President of the body representing UK fishmongers from 2010 to 2013 and remaining on as a Director of the federation, more recently George has become a council member, following in the footsteps for championing great skills and great quality within the industry
George has been involved with the fish industry since the fish were bigger than he was! He has been learning the trade since a very young age!
More recently George has been Tesco Regional Trainer for the past three years, and he has picked up several British Fish Craft Championship individual awards, before becoming the youngest ever winner of the competition – becoming The Seafish British Fish Craft Champion 2015